Monday 14 January 2013

Observing report 2013 Sunday 13th


Yes the skies where I live were clear, and I mean, very clear.

Below is a short summery of objects I observed through my new observation binoculars. During the wee small hours of 2013 Sunday 13th.


I couldn't sleep. So I got up at 01:30hrs and, after putting on some warm clothes. And getting some coffee. I took my big 15 x 70 B's for a celestial tour. I was outside from 01:40 for one and a half hours under one of the best skies that I have seen from Macclesfield.

Here is my brief report.

Arcturus.
Is very nice seeing this familiar red giant again.

M3.
Through the 15 x 70's M03 looked distinctly granular. It is good to see the first of the spring skies, bright messier,
globular clusters again.

M51.
I tried to find this famous spiral galaxy but failed. (Must try harder next time)

M65 and M66.
M66 was understandably the brighter off the two. But M65 was seen with averted vision.
Through the B's. There is a nice star pattern visible which looks to my eye like a small snake.

M44.
The Beehive cluster looked superb at 15x. And is ideal for these large binoculars. The field was filled with bees!!
M13. 
This was very granular and appears as a pale silvery ball. I saw M13 at 02:30hrs above my neighbours house.

Cor-Caroli.
A very nice double through these B's.

Alkiad.
Very bright. I looked at this, whilst trying to find M51.

Algieba.
This double in Leo was easily split. And looked very nice at x15.

Mellotte 111.
I could see Mel III with out optical aid, and had a good look. The B's are a good tool for this bright magnitude+1 OC.
Whilst in the area I tried to find NGC 4565. But failed.

I did see 17 Comae Berenices. This is a fine double and looks like Mickey Mouse.

I also had a brief tour through Virgo. I saw Vindimatrix together with Porrima. But I didn't see anything of the realm, off the galaxies!

To rap up the night, and because of cloud. I had a look for, and found. Messier's 81 and 82.
These were the show-piece objects for the morning sky.

I thought they looked good through your Paul Canon's Celestron 15 x 70 B's at Kelling. 
But from Kelling these two bright messier galaxies were low, and not overhead.

Both were clearly visible with M 81 showing what I thought was a distinct spiral shape. M 82 looked like a small
grey cigar.

I also had a brief tour of the three bright messier object's star are ideally suited for big binoculars.

M36-M37-M38. All off them were very clearly resolved. But Auriga was already sinking towards the West when I was looking at them shortly after 03:00hrs.

I came in at 03:15hrs happy.  And I tried to get the best off a good night's sleep.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Paul, I just discovered your blog / website and thought that you might like to come and take a look at our new forum at www.insideastronomy.com. We definity need observers like yourself to post reports.

    We have a visual section but its hidden at present since we have need visual astronomer :-( only imagers.

    ReplyDelete